Monday, October 6, 2014

The Jenny Tree

The Jenny Tree.  That's why we are all here, right? Grab a cup of tea or coffee and I'll tell you a story... Are you ready? 
When I was a little girl my dad loved oak trees.  So the adventure began off hunting for acorns.  Taking rides on his motorcycle we picked them up at the school, parks, and other random places.   Only the best ones ... making sure they aren't too green, cracked, worn from the weather, or a former squirrel snack.  They must be just right for the picking.  Soon enough we started planting them.  The ones that sprouted and started to show life eventually move up to "coffee can" status.  To be honest I'm not sure what happened to all of these potential oak trees, we lived in an apartment at the time.  One very special acorn became a gift.
I wanted to give a coffee can plant to my Aunt Sally for Christmas.  I remember it so well.  I tried to make it pretty with a ribbon and even included a handmade bookmark.  The little oak found its new home in the country.  I went to visit at the country home one summer and found myself somehow connected to the tree. I would find a chair, pull up next to it.  Read my Bible, read whatever I had, eat a picnic lunch & yes I talked to the tree.  Even though it was surrounded with fencing to protect it from the cows or someone mowing it over with the tractor, we became friends and the tree held some of my heart and soul.  Before I had  left it had a name, The Jenny Tree! 
I watched this Oak grow over the years.  It has survived hurricanes, and weathered many storms.  Just as I have in my own life. 
At the age of 32 years the love of my life proposed to me.  The planning began and with a lot of help we made it happen.  This tree, this place, and the two people who have nourished it are all so special to me.  Just a few short months later we said our vows under The Jenny Tree.  October 9th, 2010 was one of the most amazing moments of my life with my Groom, closest family & friends, and my favorite tree.
In just a few days we are celebrating year #4 :)  It's been a while since I've told the story and it brings joy to my heart!!! <3. From the acorn seed to the mighty oak tree, love lives here.  Isaiah 61:3 "So they will be called oaks of righteousness, The planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified."

2 comments: